THE SEASON OF CREATION 2019
SUGGESTED PRACTICAL ACTIONS FOR PARISHIONERS DURING THE SEASON OF CREATION, 2019
- Spend some time outside each day.
- Start to grow some of your own food; support local producers.
- Compost your garden and food waste.
- Avoid or reduce the use of chemicals in your home and garden.
- Use (vinegar, baking soda) and buy eco- friendly cleaners (www.ecoverdirect.com)
- Plant pollinator friendly plants in your window box or/ and garden at home or/ and
- in your parish grounds. www.biodiversityireland.ie Shop wisely-Buy Fairtrade and buy locally made products when possible. Avoid waste. Avoid, reduce, reuse, recycle, recover, treat, dispose
- Learn how to read your energy bills and make your home more energy efficient. Explore the use of renewable energy in your home, business and school, parish buildings (www.seai.ie).
- Participate in the Think Before You Flush campaign (www.thinkbeforeyouflush.org) Display the Dirty Dozen posters in toilets.
- Consider installing water butts in your gardens.
- Pray in and with nature – Encourage Laudato Si’ themed gardens in your parish
- Volunteer your time in some creative project. Join an existing group.
- Offer a welcome to newcomers where you live.
- Explore Trōcaire’s 100 ways for Parishes to implement Laudato Si’
- Become an Eco – Congregation. www.ecocongregationireland.com
- Take the Laudato Si’ Pledge (www.CatholicClimateMovement.global/petition )
- Refuse single use plastics such as cling film, straws, plastic cutlery.
- Switch to a reusable water bottle /travel cup.
- Use cloth bags for shopping and Bring/Use your own containers when possible.
- Check for and then avoid microbeads in products.
- Refuse packaging – Avoid – Reduce – Re-use – Recycle – Upcycle
- Check the new recycling list www.recyclinglistireland.ie
- Organise a recycling workshop in your parish/community www.voiceireland.org
- Show a film or documentary on the topic in your parish/community
- Participate in a beach, stream, river, park, street, area, road cleanup.